Friday, May 13, 2011

Week 1

It's all about composition... Learning how to frame your subject, getting rid of clutter in the background, rule of thirds, trying to step back a bit and tell a story rather than just snapping a picture. And it's not as easy as it sounds. I think from my years of designing I have the framing part down but it's training my brain to look for other things, things I would notice in another photographer's shot and could direct them to fix. It's a whole other can of worms doing this yourself. One part of Week One is uploading a photo you feel is successful and why, and a photo you would like to improve on. Here are a couple I shot (I think they all could be improved upon but I wouldn't be able to submit anything if I didn't let go a bit).

The first 2 are my favourites. I think the top one tells a story. I love the eyes in the second one but I think you need to see some of the cone to get a story.




These two I like as well. I think the left would be more successful if Addison was making eye contact. And the right one could be simplified a bit by getting closer so you don't see as much of the back of the chair and maybe a bit more of the cone.



1 comment:

Catherine said...

Love the depth of field on these ones Heather. Great focus too. I can tell you're loving your nifty fifty!
Can't wait to see what else you'll create in the next 9 weeks.