Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Week 4

Focus and Exposure Compensation... I was so excited to find out about focusing points. It makes taking a clear picture so much easier. Here's the image I submitting for the creative focus part of Week 4's assignment.


We also learned about manual focusing (setting the ISO, the aperture and the shutter speed) in order to get a properly exposed photo. Here's my favourite shot of the manual portion of the assignment.



I was able to get the shine on Shay's individual hairs but also have captured the texture on the blanket. I had to take a bunch of test shots to make sure my shutter speed and aperture were set correctly to get the effect I was looking for... no small feat for someone who has never shot in manual before!

We also learned about Exposure Compensation (which you can do while in Aperture Priority mode). We took a picture and compared the photo on the LCD on the back of the camera to the actual subject we were shooting and then lightened/darkened to get the most accurate representation of what we were shooting. The first image is straight out of the camera. You can see Cordelia's fur is a bit blown out and although the light is coming in from behind her, her face is still pretty light. In the second photo, I adjusted the Exposure Compensation to darken the photo 2/3 of a stop which more accurately represented the lighting.



I wish Cordelia had stayed put in the 2nd photo. I like how her ear was spread out on the floor in the first photo. Ah well, these are just being critiqued for Exposure Compensation not composition.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

The focal point lesson was a light bulb moment for me. That was probably the best thing I learned from the course. Practice, practice, practice and I have never turned back!

S said...

That Shay one is beautiful. I can't look away.