Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday-Issue 9

I've been trying to eat healthier, keeping to the cleanse rules as much as possible which has included substituting some stuff for my regular standbys. I'll try organic and stay away from the refined sugars and flours. I've modified a recipe to follow these rules and it turned out quite nice. I think I would add a bit of hot sauce to the sauce to give it a bit more zip. Visit Shan's blog for more What's Cooking Wednesday.

Tilapia Casserole
(modified from Recipezaaar #103100)

Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons spelt flour (you can use all-purpose but I'm avoiding the refined goods)
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb frozen tilapia fillets (not the breaded kind... I buy fresh and freeze them)
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of shrimp soup (undiluted)
40 BlueDiamond Pecan Nut Thin crackers, crushed (in the health food aisle... you could substitute Ritz and mix them with melted margarine)

Directions

Make the sauce (or use 1 can cream of whatever-kind-you want soup undiluted)
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
2. Stir in flour, keep stirring until smooth and bubbly.
3. Remove from heat and add the broth and milk, a little at a time, stirring to keep smooth.
4. Return to heat. Bring sauce to a gentle boil; cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
5. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed to taste. Set aside.

Assemble Casserole
1. Layer frozen fish fillets in greased casserole dish (9x9), overlapping if needed (I sprinkle them with a little Mrs. Dash or Lemon Pepper).
2. Spread cream sauce over fish.
3. Sprinkle crackers over casserole.
4. Bake uncovered at 350° for about 60 minutes.



Enjoy! I made Steamed Asparagus and Carrots and Brown Basmati Rice to accompany.

1 comment:

Shan said...

This sounds like a great recipe. I'll be giving it a try.