Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday-Issue 3

I chose a Sesame Noodle dish for tonight. I figured noodles, shrimp, peanut butter... the boys should love it!



Although Quin was excited to "help" me make dinner (he particularly excelled in eating the red peppers), when it was all thrown together he ate about 3 bites and that was it. Same with Addison. Tyler chose a different tactic: avoidance.

"If Quin plays downstairs, can I watch Harry Potter?"
"I don't want to eat the things with peanut butter on them."
"Can I print pictures tonight."
"I have to pee."
[From upstairs on the toilet] "Is Quin playing? I hear him running around."







Sigh.

Well, I found it fantastic and super easy to make. I added some shrimp to please the carnivores in the family.

The Recipe
Lighter Sesame Noodles (courtesy of Everyday Food, Issue 52)

The Ingredients
• coarse salt
• 12 oz whole-wheat spaghetti
• 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets, stalks peeled and thinly sliced
• 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
• 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
• 3 tbsp dark-brown sugar
• 2 tbsp rice vinegar
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 to 1 tsp red-pepper flakes

The Directions
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti 3 minutes less than al dente. Add broccoli, bell peppers, and onion. Cook until pasta is al dente and vegetables are tender, 3 minutes more. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta and vegetables.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together peanut butter, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, oil, garlic, and red-pepper flakes. Add hot pasta and vegetables; toss to coat, thinning sauce with a little pasta water, if necessary. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

3 comments:

Shan said...

Mmmmm this looks great. I wish I could make it here, but we've got a shellfish allergy to deal with.

Anonymous said...

You could totally omit the shrimp (that was the original recipe) and it would still rock!

Anonymous said...

Awesome photo at the end there. You captured some really nice light.