Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday-Issue 1

So I was planning on a scrumptious pork tenderloin stir fry but the freezer was conspicuously void of tenderloin... I have now decided on a Lasagna Primavera and we'll see how that turns out.

I'm being serenaded by Addison who is particularly vocal about her tray being empty. She's eyeing the shredded cheese and Cordelia is eyeing Addison who has been known to sneak the dogs a treat or two. The boys are off playing Superhero Garbagemen (apparently they've found a stash of trash under the dining room table... that tells you the state of my house right now!).





Anyway, here's the recipe (courtesy of Everyday Food magazine, Issue 51):

Lasagna Primavera
serves 8

1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for foil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups whole milk
2 pkg frozen chopped spinach (10 oz each), thawed and squeesed dry
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen peas
1/2 lb carrots (4 or 5), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 container (15 oz) part-skim ricotta (about 2 cups)
1 large egg
1 pkg no boil lasagna noodles (12-16 noodles)
1 lb part-skim mozzarella, shredded
1 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 400˚. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium; add flour and garlic. Cook stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes (do not let flour mixture darken); whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add spinach, peas, and carrots; season with salt and pepper. Set sauce aside.

In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, egg 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

In the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, spread a thin layer of vegetable sauce. Layer 1/4 noodles, half the remaining veg sauce, another 1/4 noodles, half the ricotta mix, half the mozzarella (I didn't have mozzarella so I used old cheddar... we'll see what happens), and half the Parmesan; repeat.

Cover dish with lightly oiled aluminum foil, and place on large rimmed baking sheet. Bake 45 minutes, uncover, and bake until bubbling and browned, about 20 minutes more. Let cool 10 to 15 before serving.

As I'm making this, Tyler is telling me he doesn't like lasagna and would like hot dogs. He's also asking me to print off a Hulk mask for his brother... I'm telling him I'll only print the mask if he eats his dinner (I figure that's a pretty fair deal).



Craig: "So good you almost don't notice there's no meat..."
Tyler: "If I finish my whole plate, can I print off 3 pictures?"
Quinten: "Yum! I love it!"
Addison: "munch, munch, munch...."

1 comment:

zaczmom said...

You gave me my giggle of the day. You should do this stuff daily.
The supper looks awesome. Will definately have to try it soon. YUMMY!!! Miss ya....