Wednesday, May 7, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday-Issue 5

I received this email today...
Hi Heather.

It’s Mike who works with Craig. I have decided that after seeing Craig’s delicious meals every Thursday, that I too would like to take part in tasting this “what’s cooking Wednesday’s” meals. However I won’t be able make it to the house on Wednesday nights, nor will I be able to participate in ever cooking any of these meals, I can say with full confidence that I will be willing and ready to enjoy these meals every Thursday alongside Craig.

No need to thank me.

Thanks.
Mike

Of course, now the bar is raised and I need to make something fabulous. Yikes!

I know the Fairy Blogmother (home of WCW) has a shell-fish allergy but I think you could make this with any fish really (or substitute chicken...). It's probably not the healthiest recipe but we'll see how it goes.

The Recipe
Buttery Shrimp and Pasta (courtesy of Recipezaar) with Cranberry Spinach Salad

The Ingredients
8 ounces pasta, cooked and drained (I like the tri-colored spirals)
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups half-and-half
1/4 cup fresh basil, minced or 1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional

The Directions
1. Have pasta ready.
2. In lg skillet, heat butter; add shrimp and garlic.
3. Saute 4 minutes, remove shrimp from skillet.
4. Add half and half.
5. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add shrimp, basil, cheese, pepper and pepper flakes.
7. Pour sauce into a bowl; add pasta and toss well.

The Recipe
Cranberry Spinach Salad (courtesy of Recipezaar)

The Ingredients
1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach
1/2 cup dried craisin, divided (dried cranberries)
red onion, slices
4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

The Directions
1. Wash and dry spinach.
2. Divide evenly among four salad plates.
3. Top each with approximately 2 Tbsp. craisins and onion slices.
4. Combine dressing ingredients in a small glass mixing bowl using a wire whisk.
5. Heat in the microwave on High for 1 minute or until warm.



The Reactions
Tyler: The dinner you made was awesome, mumma!

Quin: thumbs up

Addison: Ate everything on her tray (including the spinach leaves she was determined to eat even though she was choking on them...not sure the retching sounds that accompanied dinner was too appetizing).

Me: SO GOOD!! The dressing on the salad was amazing! Sorry Mike, I don't know if there will be enough for you!!



4 comments:

Shan said...

Actually it's my husband who has the shellfish allergy. I love shrimp and craved it like crazy when I was pregnant, but couldn't eat it. The girls are a higher risk for a shellfish allergy so we just don't have it in the house. So I just live vicariously through others.

Jen said...

Wow, Heather, this is, indeed, fabulous! I'm really craving shrimp, so there's been some great WCW recipes this week! Happy WCW a day late!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious. And, as usual, your photo rocks.

Renaedujour said...

Looks wonderful. I love pasta and shrimp. :)