Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What's Cooking Wednesday-Issue 4

What to make, what to make. I've wanted to make something with black bean for a while so I decided to try a new chili recipe. Knowing the boys would probably not like it, I made some cornmeal muffins to accompany the chili.

When I set the chili in front of Quin, he looked at the black bean and asked, "Why are there chocolate chips in my food?" Tyler, of course, ate the muffin and avoided everything but the cheese in the chili. Addison actually tried everything without making a fuss and then proceed to fill her pants. Apparently the beans work fast!



Roasted Corn and Black Bean Chili
(courtesy of Recipezaar)

Ingredients
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced, to taste
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder (add more if you want spicy)
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place corn in a large baking pan; add 1 Tbs olive oil and stir the corn to coat.
3. Bake until the corn is browned, stirring once, about 20 mins total.
4. Note: Corn sometimes does not brown, but bake until it smells roasted.
5. While corn is roasting, cook onion in remaining 1 Tbs olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
6. Add garlic, cumin, and chili powder and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
7. Stir in broth, beans, and tomatoes; reduce heat to simmer.
8. Cover and cook 15 mins then stir in corn and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
9. Serve chili with sour cream and shredded cheese.

with Cornmeal Muffins (from Muffin Mania; it's out of print but if you can get your hands on a copy, it's one amazing cook book!)

"An old fashioned Waterloo County favourite."

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 egg
3/4 cup milk

Directions
Mix dry ingredients together and stir in cornmeal.
Melt butter, and egg and milk and combine well.
Stir liquid ingredients into dry and combine just until moistened.
Fill greased muffin cups and bake 375˚ for 15-20 mins.
Serve hot!
Yields 8 large muffins.


4 comments:

Mommy Project said...

Looks pretty good. How did you like it? The line about your little Addison made me lol.

:)

Heather... said...

It was so good! If I had kids that like spicy stuff, I would have used the green chilies but I left those out.

I love the Eat, Shrink and Be Merry ladies (I have other books too). You can never go wrong with them. The Indian Appleous is SO yummy.

Shan said...

That looks great. I'm going to give that muffin recipe a try. We love them, but I've never actually made them myself.

Don't forget to link your post back to mine so we can all find each other's What's cooking Wednesday recipes.

Heather... said...

I have to admit I've never used a muffin mix. The Muffin Mania book recipes are just as easy as a mix! For the Cornmeal muffins, I knocked back the sugar by 1/2... but if you like sweet, I'd keep it at what the recipe suggests.