Saturday, March 29, 2008

Culinary Inspirations

I find food photography gorgeous. I love looking through picture cookbooks, Food & Wine, and just regular advertising in magazines. I love how the stylists perch candied fruit peels delicately on a mint leave which in turns rests on a perfect scoop of sorbet in a pretty glass dish sitting on a stunningly lit table. It's so impressive and beautiful.

But not simple. I'm trying to find beauty in simple things. Which brings me to the leek. I much prefer the flavour of a leek over an onion... it hint of sweetness... yum! But what really draws me to them is their perfection. If you cut the end off a leek, you will find beautiful, concentric circles... like rings on a tree. And the colouring... the darker green ends fading into the creamy white. So pretty.

So the leek is now on my list of culinary inspirations.... I think I will take some b&w stills of leeks and frame them for my kitchen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plus, that leek pie you make is pretty tasty.

Heather... said...

I'm totally going to have to make that again (then post pictures like not martha...)